Monday, March 29, 2010

So.....

I have my own car see, kind of a privilege. Drive almost everywhere in it. Today however... owing to a flat tyre i ventured out in a local cab, a nice alto, very comfy. On any other day i'd usually make my cabbie (on the way back home) drop me right at my gate, i kinda enjoy privileges, but today i got off on the main road. Sort of struck me that i dont really remember what my street looks like post midnight, because i usually zip by in my car right ? So i walked.... from the Vodafone store, to my building, a 5 minute walk......
Saw a beggar sleeping on the footpath, and immediately i reached for my wallet, how happy he'd be waking up next to a 100 buck note, but the enthu dies the second it is born.... where would i put the note ?? He wasnt wearing a shirt, his shorts had no pockets, he had no belongings i could use as weight, there weren't even any rocks nearby, no construction work happening in my area it seems, and even if i "did" find something to weigh down the note with.... would it still be next to him when he woke up ???? I thought of all this in less than a second... and walked on.
Then, up ahead before i reach the junction where the Daabeli wala sits, a boy about 14-15 sitting on a bike (obviously not his) smoking a beedi, and for some reason, staring at the moon. I follow his gaze and am myself amazed at how lovely the moon looks, not entirely full yet, but shinier than usual. He's also not wearing a shirt... full pants though, and maybe grease on his face, but i hardly have time to register, I'm still walking see.
I cross the road, I pass the 30 year old restaurant that I've stopped ordering from a long time ago, burnt mutton fry can leave deep wounds. Outside the restaurant, about 20 of its employees cover either side of the footpath, only 3 wearing shirts, and only one sleeping on his side. I stop walking, because they all remind me of kids, not because of the cluster they're in, but because, each one of them made some physical contact with the one next to them. Hand on shoulders, feet touching knees, heads together..... I wouldn't say there was much beauty in what i saw, but it still made me smile, because i knew they were all "tightly" asleep, no loudspeaker could wake these guys up too easily.
Almost pass the MNS Shaaka, I see a Mummy cat (white with black Krrish type face) with her 3 black and white kittens scuttling towards an opening on the door of a tiny cigarette stall. In any other time zone I'd sigh with glee and dream of having my own pet cat one day, but owing to the constant interactions I've been having with 2 very unique felines in the past year, i keep walking, holding my gaze on the lil ones for just a few seconds, smiling, and carrying on.
Right at my main gate, a teenage girl from the slum nearby leans on a Santro and violently chats with her man (why are all of them called 'Kaay Re' ?). The man it seems, is trying to impress her with some english, but she's more interested to know if his "Mulund Chaccha ne kuch bola kya" ?
As my watchman opens my gate for me (aaj gadi nahi leke gaya?) I catch a glimpse of the moon again..... It followed me home, i feel safe, i feel happy, i smile again, i walk by the watchman hoping that he doesn't think I'm drunk.
I'm back home, an old umm.... Keeda hits me again, I get restless. I wait till my room mate gets done with the computer, and i sit down to write my 'First Blog'. Unable to think of a perfect beginning for something I've always longed to do (but never did, owing to lack of time / inspiration / net connection) I settle for what i can write the best, my 'recent' adventure, from the Vodafone store till my main gate.
This, is my first blog. This is something i hope I'm regular with. This is perhaps the only medium left where i can really let myself run free. This is not a rant, or a depressed avalanche of words coming from a guy with nobody, or nothing to say anything to. This is 'only' me thinking out loud. And no, I'm not here to tell you how to lead your life, or sermonize you on how the world should work. I'm only here to talk about life. According to, the way i see it..... :-)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting read.Gave me a glimpse of human beings, not strangers, of the night.I'd like to read more.
    ~rb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good you took out some time to walk back home. Its been a while i looked at the people around me and heard the stories they wanted to tell. Reading ur blog, i feel i should also walk back home... Soon.
    Keep writing Kachin :)
    Cheers
    Pachora

    ReplyDelete